Monday, January 2, 2012

New Member, Jeanette Grey

Please join me in welcoming new Brigade member, Jeanette Grey! 

Please tell us a little about yourself...

I'm a thirty-something woman. I write futuristic romances, mostly in the cyberpunk genre, as well as erotic contemporary romances, including some M/M stories. I'm a former teacher, a science and art enthusiast, an amateur potter, and I live in North Carolina with my husband and my pet frog.


We’d love to hear more about your book, Unacceptable Risk.

It's a cyberpunk romance about a woman named Plix who's hell-bent on saving the world, and her friend Edison's who's working just as hard to try to save her:

Plix spends her lonely, gritty life trying to solve the mysteries her father left behind. Armed with a variety of cybernetic enhancements and a talent for getting into places she shouldn’t be, she searches for clues to his murder—and who’s responsible for poisoning her city.

Waking up on a street corner with her brain wiring fried to a crisp, she figures she must have gotten close this time. There’s only one man she trusts to pull her back from the brink: a tuner who can retrieve the evidence hidden deep in the recesses of her mind. A man she dares not let too close to her heart.

When Edison downloads a secret SynDate schematic from Plix’s burnt-out circuitry, he knows with dreadful finality that nothing—not even the fiery kiss he’s been holding back for years—will stop her from pursuing her quest past the point of insanity.

All he can do, as he helps her plan her final mission, is ease her pain, watch her back…and hope one of them doesn’t pay with their lives.


Would you like to share any upcoming projects?

I have two new futuristic WIPs that I'm currently working on, one that's a possible sequel for Unacceptable Risk and another set in a similar world that considers what would happen if certain cybernetics had long-term side effects. I'm also in the final stages of editing on a contemporary.


What do you like about writing SFR?

I love being able to invent a whole new world and make up the rules for it as I go along. It's even more fun when it's a futuristic world based on our own. I think it's such a fascinating puzzle to try to extrapolate how things may change in the future considering the current state of society. It leaves so much room for imagination, and even opens the door to little bits of subtle social commentary. I find the whole process so freeing.

What do you find challenging about it?

Trying to remember all the rules I create! Trying to keep things consistent in a world I don't actually live in can be a huge challenge. For example, in one SFR manuscript, I resolved to make everything be in the metric system. But it's so ingrained in me (especially during intimate scenes) to mention how things are "just inches away" that I had a lot of clean-up to do in editing, removing all those pesky English units.

What is your favorite SF book or movie?

Even though it's not a romance, probably Ender's Game. It's the first SF book I ever read where I had a real emotional attachment to the characters. It opened up the whole genre for me.


If you could have a robot that did one chore/task and only one, what would you choose?

Vaccuuming. (How luck am I to live in the modern era?)

Favorite mode of fictional travel?

I would have said the transporter from Star Trek, but my new favorite is 'traveling by map' from the new Muppet movie.



About Jeanette Grey:

After brief, unsatisfying careers in advertising, teaching, computers, and homemaking, Jeanette Grey has returned to her two first loves: romance and writing.

When she isn’t writing, Jeanette enjoys making pottery, playing board games, and spending time with her husband and her pet frog. She lives, loves, and writes in North Carolina.

She is a member of Romance Writers of America and Carolina Romance Writers.


Her cyberpunk romance, Unacceptable Risk, was released in December from Samhain Press. You can find it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and All Romance eBooks.


7 comments:

  1. Welcome Jeanette! Got Unacceptable Risk on my TBR pile and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! I loved Ender's Game, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the brigade! The book looks good, I'll add it to my TBR pile. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, like the sound of Unacceptable Risk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the Brigade, Jeanette! Congratulations on your recent release.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Jeanette! It's good to have you with the Brigade!

    Congrats on your latest release!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm super excited to be here.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation