Saturday, April 17, 2010

Creepy Crawlies

One of the things about being a science geek: It is not for the faint of heart. Worse? Being married to a science geek when you are not one. Feel my husbands pain. I adore all the creepy, gross, hope I never meet that in a dark alley wildlife and critters that run around this planet. Meet Bathynomus giganteus. He lives here. When you vacation in Mexico, it might be this isopod nibbling on your toes when you take a dip in the Gulf. Not really - they don't like the shallows. File this under 'things that make you say 'ew!'' and then forth and create those

6 comments:

  1. Ewwwww! And I thought the spiders under my house were large. (They can carry small children away)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember, this guy is at the *bottom* of the food chain. He lives off things that drop to the bottom of the ocean floor, like dead whales. There are things in the depths that consider this dinner.

    %-) Bwhahahaha!

    I love being a marine biologist, it means you get to play with all the really weird critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I can't believe that thing is real. Very creepy, very leggie, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...Oiks! I hope they're vegetarians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, probably not. I'm guessing they're scavengers. Most deep water creatures are opportunistic hunters. They'll eat anything that doesn't move fast enough. After all, that deep, finding meals is a bit tough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! I'll have to put some of these critters in my novel.
    They do look like they might be good to eat, a bit like shrimp or lobster.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation